Sunday, July 20, 2008

Flood Relief

On Saturday a group of about 25 from Marion First Pres went into Cedar Rapids to help out with the flood relief. My camera batteries ran out early (which probably saved my camera) but here are some of the snapshots I managed to take.
This was my first real trip into the heart of the flood. It's weird to be right in the middle of what was a bustling city neighborhood only a month or so ago, and now see it completely barren and empty, with the exception of a few houses who have volunteer groups working on them, and the occasional Salvation Army food truck driving by to feed volunteers.






I added a red line on the photo to show where the water line on the house we worked on was. Well above my reach, and I'm 6'3".
We weren't the only people doing flood relief this week. A Methodist Church youth group from Berthod (near my home town) stayed at our church all week. One great thing about disasters is the denomonational structure in this country breaks down, and we get to become The Church.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

heartbreaking.
I remember the same feeling about Katrina...it was surreal. and doesn't it smell horrible!?!

That makes me sad that there aren't more people helping. Is PDA there?