Friday, November 10, 2006

A good Story

I used to think that I would never be able to go to a movie at the theater by myself. I think a lot of people feel that way. I remember going alone for the first time and thinking that everybody in the theater was looking at me because I was the lame guy sitting alone with no friends to hang out with. There is something very liberating for me when I go to movies alone now. It's a sense of independence that I really enjoy. Going to movies for me is a complete escape from reality if only for a couple of hours. Once the trailers start, anything that was on my mind beforehand just turns off. I can just absorb myself into the world that I see on the screen, and put myself into the thoughts and the emotions of the characters portrayed in motion picture. When I was told that I would be losing my job at Group, they sent me home early for the day to think about if I wanted to continue to work out the month. I didn't go home, but went to a movie. When I have a lot on my mind and feel stressed, I go to the movies. Call it therapy in surround sound. When I go to movies with friends I still do get involved in the movie, but in a sense I take a piece of reality into the world of the movie with me. It's an escape, but just a small thread separates me from the real world.
For me stories are a powerful thing. They get my mind racing like nothing else on this earth. I like stories in books and on screen that focus not necessarily on action, or drama, or comedy. I like them all, but a story that touches me has real human emotion in it. I like seeing the characters, with feelings and flaws that could be real. I like to see my experience in the story on the screen. I like to see friendships that look real; relationships build not on sex but on joy and happiness. I like to see difficult decisions where there is not always a right choice. The movie industry in the United States is huge business, which leads me to guess that I'm not alone in this love for a good story.
It's easy to see why Jesus did so much of his teaching by telling stories. If there is one thing that I'm learning in my Church History class, it's that the old saying really does hold true. "The more things/people change, the more they stay the same." People have always enjoyed stories and it's what people talk about. I used to laugh as I sat in my cubicle at Group as my coworkers would gather around and chat about the last week’s episode of "24". When I was younger and in college it was the first few years of Friends that we would talk about. As a human race, we are fascinated by the stories we hear whether they are true or not. I can picture people in bible times not talking about the lecture they heard Jesus give, but repeating the story he told. Lectures contain facts, but stories contain human emotion embracing the facts.
On the way home tonight I was thinking. I don't think I can remember a single sermon that I have heard in my life. I can't think of a single one that I can point to the scripture that was read and the entire message. I can on the other hand think of many great stories that I have heard in these sermons. I don't remember the scripture, but I can illustrate what was taught by these stories. That's not to say that I have never learned in a sermon. I've heard many many many sermons and the lessons they have taught have sunk in, they just aren't recalled in the same way that I don't remember learning the alphabet, but the lesson was learned. It may just be my A.D.D. talking (I can't prove I have it, but I would place money on the fact) but if a good illustration is told with a sermon I listen and appreciate it, but if the illustration is weak, I tend to tune out.
I also heard a quick report on another movie tonight that was recently released by a church that has turned into a pretty major motion picture. Many of the actors and crew of the movie were members of the church. The pastor of this congregation said that he felt this may be the new mission of the church to reach people through this medium. This is an interesting approach to me. I can't say that I agree with the message I hear from previews of the movie just released. While I believe in the power of prayer, I think it's dangerous to hint that by praying you will get whatever you want, even a football victory. Prayer is more then just asking God for anything you want, and God doesn't run a convenience store where he will provide your every desire. With that tangent over though, what could a Church accomplish by showing the right things. How many people saw Christ’s crucifixion in a real way for the first time by watching the Passion?
It's a lot of different thoughts running around in my head tonight, and as usual this is a better forum for asking questions rather then answering them. I don't think a Church is really a church if they just shoot movies, because it's community with others in the presence of God that makes a church. I don't think that going to movies alone all the time is good; I love to go with friends. I do like movies with bad characters and a bad plot if they are funny. I do however appreciate it most when movies make me think and more importantly make me feel. I do love it when a church message makes me view a picture in my head as opposed to processing facts. Most of all I guess, I just love a good story.
I sat in the library for about three hours today working on practice sentences for Greek. I can't say that I will ever become a big fan of Biblical Greek, but I understand most of the concepts behind the language. I am however very slow at deciphering even the most simple sentences. I'm sure speed will come with time, but I'm looking forward to being able to use a computer program for next year to help me out. I had the most beautiful view while I was working on these sentences today though; it finally snowed big beautiful glorious powdery snowflakes. I love the snow. It reminds me of back home and my favorite time of the year. I wished I had a camera for while it was snowing, because it was a pretty sight to see it come down out the big picture windows in the library.
I'm feeling less stressed this weekend as opposed to last. I got the paper done that I was stressing about then, and for some reason I'm much less worried about my tests this week. After that I will have Thanksgiving break and then a bunch of papers due all at the same time...ouch. I'm starting to feel like I can do this again though. It really is true that seminary can be a constant roller coaster of elation at the thought of a life in ministry, to sheer doubt and terror. It's good though that I'm able to explore all the feelings and realize that I will come out on top in the end.
I've been very poor at keeping in touch with my liaison with the Presbytery committee that oversees candidates for ministry, but he sent me an e-mail this week. We are going to arrange a time to meet for lunch when I'm back in Fort Collins over Christmas. I'm only going to be there a short time, and I'm already getting a pretty full calendar. I'm really starting to look forward to this visit, but it still seems miles away.

No comments: