Sunday, November 26, 2006

Too comfortable?

I made a promise for myself when I started Seminary that I would not back down from any challenges that came my way. All during the time leading up to my coming here I took a motto for myself that stated, "There is no growth without leaving your comfort zone." I kept that motto for the first few months that I was here, but I realized today that I have fallen into a nice little comfort zone between classes, friends, church, and really the rest of my life. A few events of the last week have made me realize this, and I have a lot of things coming up now that are getting me excited, and possibly even a little scared.
The first new change for me is I'm going to be staring a new job working at the Myers Library here on campus part time starting tomorrow. I have put off getting a job for quite a while now, but I think I really will like the distraction, and the extra money will defiantly come in handy as well. During the first semester I kept putting off buying a new laptop computer because I didn't want to spend the money with none coming in, but I've realized just how much one will help me in class, and that is the reason I'm here so....
I also received an e-mail from the university telling first year seminary students that there are opportunities for pulpit supply if we want to take advantage of them. My first response was that I wanted to wait until I had a few more classes before I did something like this. After speaking to a friend though, I have decided that I'm going to at least go talk to the person who organizes this and see what they have to say. Just because I don't feel comfortable preaching yet, how will I ever become so if I run out on every opportunity that presents it self. I may not be experienced, but I don't think that pulpit supply churches are looking for perfection. Instead they are looking for energy and authenticity. Just my thoughts, but we will see.
The same person I'm going to talk with about pulpit supply, I also want to speak with about finding an internship position somewhere this summer. I have always said that I want to find a job working at a church during the summer, but not a church that is local. My problem is that I have no idea in the world how to find a position somewhere across the country. I'm hoping that he will be able to point me in the right direction, and that I will be able to find something that will stretch me, and at the same time be a lot of fun.
I really have not put any energy into student council yet, but I also want to get more involved with that, and a good friend and I want to start some sort of bible study on campus. We both love the whole theological education that we are getting, but we have come to realize that with everything that is required, the bible tends to get squeezed out. I have no clue when we will find the time, but I think it's so necessary, so we are going to try and figure out what that is going to look like.
Lastly I'm in the process of trying to get all my paperwork in order so that I can advance from the inquirer process of the Presbyterian Church to the candidacy process. I'm hoping that when I return home for Christmas that I will be able to meet with my presbytery liaison, my church session late notice, and with a gentleman from Boulder in order to fulfill my psychological exam requirements. I also am going to sign up for the first of the Presbyterian Church ordination exams; the bible content exam. I have to sign up in the next couple of weeks, then the test is in February.
I'm really excited for what the future holds, and while it is keeping me busier then I have ever been, I love the challenge.
On a side note, it is about 9:00 in the evening, only a few days from December in Iowa, and it’s raining like crazy. What ever happened to the wonderful white flakes that I’m used to?

1 comment:

palantyri said...

let me know if you need help finding a laptop amigo.

and we've been pretty dry here too. keep up the good work, you're doing alright.