Saturday, February 24, 2007

This means war!

I was had tonight!Of course this means war. I tried to build a snowman on the front porch of some friends of mine earlier this evening, but they heard me and caught me in the act. I caught them in the act here, but it was a little too late. Oh well, this kind of war is right up my alley (insert evil laugh right here!!!).

I'm sitting here in the middle of an official blizzard warning, enjoying what may my last free weekend for a long time. I was supposed to go to a junior B level hockey game tonight; the Dubuque Thunderbirds, but because of the snow most of my friends cancelled on me. It's been fun burning some music with Ryan and messing around a little on the guitars though. He is really good, and it makes me want to learn more then the 5 or 6 chords I know right now.

They have already canceled church in the morning for the church I normally attend here in Dubuque. Some friends and I have decided that we still want to do a worship service so we are getting together tomorrow morning for a prayer service. We will sing some hymns and contemporary worship songs with the guitar and do church home style. It will be fun to worship in a way that is probably very relevant in regards to the way the original church started.

Last week, I managed to secure the Supervised Practice of Ministry job I applied for, and I’ll probably start next weekend. It's a part time job at a church that will let me practice preaching, visiting people in the hospital and nursing home, and working with youth. I have always said that the thing I lack most in trying to become a pastor is practical experience, and this will allow me to gain some. It's a beautiful drive to the church in Galesville, Wisconsin, but it's also a long 3 hour drive. I will be making the drive every weekend through the end of the school year, but then they will provide a place for me to live over the summer as the job becomes full time. I'm a little scared that over the month of June I will also be the solo pastor at the church as the real pastor is on vacation, but I know with God's help I can do it. I'm really excited to get started there. When I drove up to interview, I had such an incredible sense of peace just driving into the town. Meeting with the pastor and a couple of people from the church just confirmed that peace. I'm loving life.

There has been some worry lately on the campus that at the seminary there is a bit of a disconnect between this years first year class, and the second and third years. A few friends and I have tried to do some things to try and bring the classes together a little more. The day I drove up to Wisconsin for the interview I came back to play poker with a lot of guys from the seminary at my place. I knew that I was going to be a little late, but with my roommates permission I volunteered our townhouse for the night. After parking in the garage I opened the door to find 19 guys playing poker in my living room from every class, not to mention age and nationality. We only play for chips, so it's not a big deal, but it was an incredibly fun event of guy’s night out. I'm hoping that it's something that we can keep up. It blows me away sometimes how easy it is for women to pull together a group to spend time together, study, pray, and just fellowship, but it can be so difficult for men. This was definitely a good thing and something that needs to be done more often in society.

With the weather being bad and school being stressful, our group has found a way to escape if only for an hour or two a couple nights a week. We've been gathering at Kevin and Anne’s place to watch American Idol each night in a ritual that promises to happen every Tue, Wed, and Thurs. for as long as the show runs, which will most likely cover most of the semester. The other night we also got together for a night of guesstures and taboo; both fun board games which ironically don't have a board (I guess the question is then, are they really board games?). Anyways it's been a fun semester so far, but it also promises to be a very difficult one as well.

2 comments:

The Mama said...

Wow, Galesville? You're getting up in my moms neck of the woods there!!!

Sounds like you are doing well. I hope we get a chance to see you sometime this summer. I don't know though, travel with the kids this last time was a ton of work, we are thinking we will probably take James vacation time this year and stick close to home, like the mountians or CO Springs or something.

Take care, we keep checking on you and love to hear what you're up to!

Alice

Chris said...

And just a follow up....My girl Jordin Sparks won this year....woo hoo.