Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Journey

I knew this day would come when I moved here to Iowa. Today was a beautiful day, it was that perfect temperature where you decide to wear a long sleeve shirt, but feel nice and warm outside. In the evening it has just that little nip in the air, but the cool air just feels so good as you breathe it in. It was just the kind of night that I used to love most in Colorado. If I was home tonight I would have hopped in my car and taken a nice scenic drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park, or possibly Pinewood Reservoir. I would have gotten out of my car, turned off all the lights, and laid down on the hood of my car to gaze up at the stars in the solitude of the mountains I love. Instead I'm making flash cards for my Greek class tomorrow.
Today was a long day for me. I completed my first pseudo all nighter last night by going to bed at midnight, but getting up today at 4:30 to complete a paper for class. I think a lot of people are feeling tired today as well though. After chapel today a group including me and seven other friends were standing around and we were all quiet; no talking just standing around. Normally these friends are like me, you can't get us to shut up, not today. I normally love a good question or difficult topic to think about. Maybe for the first time in my life, I don't want to think for 12 hours or so.
Our Spiritual Formation Class today spoke about how today we don't stop to enjoy the journey, but instead race from destination to destination. Christ on the other hand accomplished his entire earthly ministry on the way to his destination. I have some newlywed friends who are going to drop some classes tomorrow most likely, for this reason. They are finding it difficult to do homework, classes, jobs, and other responsibilities as well as take time to enjoy each other in the first year of their marriage. Seminary is not a destination, it's a journey and one to be cherished and enjoyed. I'm making a pledge to myself to not let myself become burned out on the whole academic side of things, but to enjoy my journey as well. I'm going to enjoy the little things and not always focus on the big. Today was a great joy, with the weather so nice, me and two friends before lunch just found a big patch of grass at Westminster Presbyterian Church and just laid down on our backs and chatted for a while. No stresses, no worries, no cares, just nice relaxing conversation. I liked that. Tomorrow I'm going on a retreat with many others in the seminary. The topic of the retreat is going to be prayer; something else that I have probably been neglecting in my life. It's going to be a good weekend to get a few things back on track.
The other day we did an exercise in class where we were to focus on a word or phrase as a piece of scripture was read in class. The phrase that struck a chord with me was "give thanks" which was ironic as it was mentioned once and stuck with me, but then was repeated in the text later on as well. I was reflecting on that today, and I realized that it is very easy for me to give thanks about all of the wonderful things that have happened to me here. I give thanks everyday for the great people and wonderful community. I need to take time and give thanks for the difficult things as well. It is all meant to help prepare me, even though it sometimes is difficult and tough to appreciate at the time.

Lord, thank you.

Thank you for the journey you have called me to embark on. Help to enjoy the wondrous sights, smells, scents, and other wonders of this trip instead of focusing solely on the road ahead. Help me to not try and travel the road so fast that I miss your signs on the side of the road in my haste. Help me to be a considerate driver that everybody traveling the same road as me can benefit from my presence and me theirs. Lord, every long journey will encounter storms where the road gets treacherous. Help me to keep my car on the road, and help me to realize when sometimes it's just time to pull off for a quick rest. Bless this trip Lord and while I look forward to the destination, let me remember the journey just as much.

In your holy name Lord, Amen.

2 comments:

palantyri said...

um. what happened to actually staying up all night? i can't believe you got back up at 4:30 am... what is happening to the chris I know?

Chris said...

He got thirsty at about 11:00, went to the fridge and saw that there was no pop, and only one beer in the fridge.....big mistake, I couldn't see straight by midnight I was so tired.