Friday, July 17, 2009

Simplicity

I took a walk today. I have been feeling a little lost lately and I felt the need to find some simplicity that only taking photo's can do for me. I don't claim to be a great photographer, but looking through the lens forces one to simplify. Instead of looking at the entirety of the world around me, I'm forced to instead look at a solitary subject and imagine it only from within the world of the viewfinder.

I find that writing can do that for me as well. It's easy to get lost in all the worries and concerns of my head. But in putting thoughts down on paper (ok not paper), I am forced to simplify. I have felt over-burdened lately in my search for a church. The interviews I have had were good, but circumstances were not right. I'm thinking about finding a non-ministry job for the time being, but that is not a joyful proposition for me. I know that things will work themselves out, but I'm feeling impatient and boxed in as I hang around the house. I am developing bad habits of staying up all night, and sleeping in late everyday. I'm also feeling guilty because I'm not contributing to our income. I know that Becky doesn't mind, but I guess I do.

I miss living in a simpler time. I think that is why I ended up at the baseball field. There is something about a ball park that always makes me feel at home. It doesn't matter if it a Major League Park like Coors Field or Wrigley Field. It doesn't matter if it is a battered and beat up field, filled with weeds, at the local elementary school. There is something inherent in the familiar surroundings that helps put life into perspective. I was never a good player, and certainly don't follow it as well as many of my friends. It seems odd that this would be such a familiar place, but it is. I think it speaks to tradition, and friends, cold beer and hot dogs. It speaks to good times, and heartache. Baseball is as good a metaphor for the human condition as anything. In some ways it is one of the most complex games in the world, certainly one of the most cerebral. Yet in others ways baseball is simplicity itself. It's this I think that drew me today to the park. Simplicity amongst complexity. A place of peace in the midst of turmoil.

No comments: