Monday, June 26, 2006

Sassy

It's been a bit of a depressing day today. Reality set in that I'm going to have to give my dog Sassy away next week. I know that I can’t keep her once I become homeless at the end of the month, nor when I move to Iowa in August. I also realize that I am probably not the greatest dog owner at the moment anyway due to a single lifestyle that keeps me away from home most of the day. In a time of my life though, when I most needed a friend most and was separated by 1300 miles from those I was closest to, Sassy was there for me. She was the one that would crawl up into bed with me, and give me kisses in the face to say "I love you". I know that she is going to a better home, but I'm going to miss her more then words can express.
I also found out today that I will not be able to preach during worship service before I move away. I spoke with the pastor of the church today to try and find a time it would work, but there were only two Sundays available. One of them I will be gone with the youth mission trip and the second week falls after I leave for seminary. I really thought about delaying my departure and preaching that week, but that would only give me three days to drive from Colorado to Iowa, and move into my new place before school starts. I would rather have some more time to get situated and find a job before I have to hit the books.
I do know what I wanted to speak about. I wanted to thank Mountain View for everything they have done to help raise and support me during my life. When kids are baptized at the church, the pastor asks a set of questions not only to those being baptized (or their parents), but also to the congregation. In a nutshell the congregation is asked if they will help support and provide for the Christian nurture of the child. While I wasn’t technically baptized at Mountain View, the church fulfilled the promises they make to others with me as well. I wanted to remind the congregation that we as a church are called the body of Christ, with each person fulfilling a need based on our abilities. Without the teachers of my VBS and Sunday School classes when I was young; without the leaders and volunteers of my youth groups; without the people giving donations, organizing events, sending kids to youth group, and just plain greeting me in the halls making me feel welcome, I would not be who am I today getting ready to help fulfill my part in his body by becoming a pastor. I wanted to give everybody encouragement to keep what they are doing in the church. I wanted to remind everybody of the importance of continued involvement in the church. The darkest time of my life is was I was separated from a church “body”. I was lucky and had my Sassy to help me out. My generation has seen a large number of people decide that their faith does not need to include belonging to a church. I wanted to ask though, what happens to a strong part of the body (a strong faith) when separated from the rest of the body. Christ is present in his church and in Mountain View and I thank him and the members of that congregation for helping to make me who I am today.

3 comments:

Makeesha said...

oh she's precious! I wish we could take her for you.

David said...

darn cats. hehe.

Chris said...

I do have a very nice lady from my church taking Sassy. She is going to a very good home.