Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Stormtroopers in high heels.

One of the things I think I will miss the most when I move will be my Tuesday nights. I have a great group of four friends who I have been close with since the summer following my high school graduation. We all knew each other during high school, but the bond between us was cemented by who knows what that summer. During the early years of our friendship we saw each other nearly everyday. The five of us have seen other friends come and go from the group over the years, and have formed great friendships outside of the group as well, but the original quintet has always remained very close. We all have different jobs now, some are married with kids, and one now lives a good hour’s drive away. The four of us still in town along with one's wife and little guy have a standing appointment each Tuesday night though at a local coffee shop. We realize that we are getting older and have more responsibilities and less time to devote to just goofing off with the friends, but we wanted to make sure we still made time for each other. It's great to be able to just sit around, talk about what is going on in our lives, in the world, in sports, in general. We laugh a lot and pick on each other ruthlessly. The girls who work at the shop know us by name and join in from time to time. It's a Cheer's like atmosphere except it's a coffee shop, not a bar. Today was great fun. I had not done a Mad Libs in years and years, but some books were brought tonight. We just went around the circle giving out nouns, verbs, adjectives, colors, numbers and the like all night. We included the barista's, other customers coming into the store, and my mother in Arizona over the telephone when she unwittingly called during a game. I think the image I will keep with me from tonight is the picture in my mind of Stormtroopers in high heels. Gotta love them Mad Libs.

1 comment:

palantyri said...

Miss being up there. Sounds like fun.