Saturday, June 03, 2006

Self Portrait

A few years back I started to take a photography class at a local community college (I say started because I never finished). The first assignment given us was to go out and take a self portrait of ourselves. We could do it any way we wanted; as long as the subject was us, and we were also the one's taking the photo. I remember having a lot of fun with that assignment as I went from just holding the camera up to a mirror, to more creative ways to photograph myself. I took photos of my shadow on a sunny day. I took photo's of photos (didn't turn out so well). In the end I had fun with the timer on my camera and submitted photos taken from the hood of my car with me behind the steering wheel, and of me outside behind a decorative window. Looking back the point of the assignment was to teach us how to be creative as we view the world through the window of the lens. I enjoyed the lesson also though because it gave me a glimpse as to how others viewed themselves as well. I don't remember all the photos taken, but I remember the feeling of being able to take a look inside the other members of the class as they shared their projects. A few months back I was struggling to decide where I was being called to as far as seminary was concerned. I went for a walk along Lake Loveland in the middle of town, and called my friend Mel in California knowing she would give me some good direction (prayers for her health right now are appreciated). As I was speaking with her and lying among some rocks, I took what may be my favorite self portrait, I've ever taken. Going with my comments that it's a look into how people views themselves; I think this is a great representation of how I view myself, and how I hope I'm remembered by others; Laid back, with feet that walk for the Lord, and an unlimited horizon.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have that one framed for your office when you become a minister. I like what it says about you! Love!

melthedce said...

Chris--I remember that day and that call....I know it was a big day in your life and alling and big decisions were made and confirmed1 I agree with your mom I think thats one that should be in your office... maybe on a mirror that you look into everyday too to remind yourself of your calling and purpose. Thank you so much for your prayers. Today is a good day... so far...I pray that they just continue to get better but I am trying to relax... sit back and let my body do some of the talking. i think I will be calling the surgeon tomorrow to talk to him about it all. I will keep you posted... thanks again for the continued prayers... you are truly a good friend!

David said...

sweet feet dude! Well put and it's you through and through.

Anonymous said...

oooo I love this photo. I'm so drawn to moments when the sun makes a pathway on the water. I also love when the moon does this too. I had a very personal moment with God some years back where He spoke His love to me in a moment and the moon was sparkling on the pacific ocean and it just seemed eternal and magical. Hope you're well and I vote for a framed version in Pastor Chris's office.