Friday, April 28, 2006

Conformation

When I first started working at Group Publishing the first thing I noticed was the sense of community that existed within the organization. Joining Group was a lot like joining a family. There were a lot of smiles, laughs and good times there, but like any family life wasn't always perfect. Leaving my job at Group was not a difficult thing, but leaving the family was. I figured that I would move on, but I doubted that I would ever find another home that accepted me as quickly as I felt Group's employees did.
This week I traveled to my first choice of seminary programs at the University of Dubuque. After spending only a couple of days on the campus I feel even more certain that Christ is calling me into a lifetime of ministry, and that Dubuque is where I need to prepare for that life. The acceptance I felt while experiencing chapel services, attending classes, visiting with professors and just chatting with students was unlike anything I have ever felt before. I wasn't even registered with the Seminary, but I already felt like a fellow student on campus. By the time I left I had signed my acceptance letter and wrote a check to reserve my spot for the fall. I still need to finalize my housing and financial aid situations, but I have no doubt that God will provide for me what I need.
From the get go my trip was a very cool experience. I arrived at the Dubuque airport right on time and met the student who was picking me up. We shook hands and then he informed me that he was also dropping somebody off at the airport who he figured I may like to meet. He took me over to a very friendly looking gentleman he introduced as Rick Ufford-Chase, the current moderator of the Presbyterian Church General Assembly. He has served since the 2004 GA and will be replaced in June of this year at the 2006 GA. It was fun being able to take a few minutes to speak with him, call this divine appointment number 1. Upon arriving on the campus I settled into the guest room in the administration building and we headed to dinner at a fun restaurant in town called Bricktown. It was a great meal.
After that I was asked if I wanted to attend a chapel service that evening that was centered around a drama written and performed by some of the students. The service was excellent, and afterward I was able to meet quite a few of the seminary students. At the end of the evening I walked back to my room put on a coat and went to an outdoor rock concert a local band was putting on in the open area outside my building. All in all it was a great first night on campus.
The next morning started off excellent as well. I had a free pass to the coffee shop on campus to grab a muffin and something to drink for breakfast before I attended the chapel service that morning. I was sitting by myself in the coffee shop when a gentleman I recognized from all the literature I have been sent as the president of the university, Jeffery Bullock walked in. He ordered something for breakfast and headed my way commenting that he didn't recognize me, and asked my name. When I mentioned that I was just visiting the campus he sat down with me while he ate his breakfast and chatted with me. He mentioned that he had served a church in Colorado early in his pastoral career and was very encouraging to me. It spoke volumes to me about the kind of atmosphere I would find on this campus to have him take time to sit down unscheduled with me. I called this my divine appointment number 2. The rest of my Wednesday was spent visiting with admissions, financial aid, having lunch with many of the Seminaries Presbyterian students, and auditing a class on the theology of Calvin by my advisor.
After having dinner at a great mexican restaurant in town with another student I just wandered around the campus for a little while ending up in the library. I was recognized by a seminary student who invited me over to chat. I didn't make it back up to my room until about 10:30 that evening.
Thursday was my last day on campus and the morning started out early. I ate breakfast in the school's cafeteria to see what it would be like, and then attended an 8:00 class. Following class I attended my last chapel service. This was a beautiful service put on by several of the first year seminary students with some more contemporary style music and group prayer elements. It was a very cool experience. After chapel I met with the pastor to students at the seminary and another professor.
I met a married student and his wife for lunch where again the president of the university sat with us for lunch. He remembered my name from the previous day, and was chatting with the other students at the table about going trap shooting with them this summer possibly. I finished up my day by going on a housing tour of the Seminary and looking at the townhouses that I'm hoping will be available for me in the Seminary Village near campus. The last meeting I had on campus was with Mark Actemeier my advisor, a member of the Peace, Unity and Purity committee of the church, and a friend to the pastor of my church. We had a great conversation in the coffee shop for about an hour talking about many different things.
I left campus knowing that this is where I belong, and excited at the prospect of joining the student population next year. I know that seminary will be very demanding and difficult, and that it won't always be perfect. It's a lot like my experience at Group, a family that sometimes will struggle, but will also find plenty of time to smile, laugh, and enjoy each other. A place where I know I can grow in faith and find a model for my own future ministry.

2 comments:

Makeesha said...

David reminded me of your blog yesterday - I'm so glad it was good confirmation for you. :) I'm excited to see where God takes you on this journey.

Anonymous said...

Chris I am so proud of you!! I am very happy that you feel you picked the right school. That was a big decision on your part.I hope by now you have heard from the financial people.
Love you losts.
Gramie