Thursday, May 11, 2006

Acceptance

Before being married, I was engaged for a year. During some of that time, I was unsure of how well I would be accepted into her family. I was already great friends with her sister, but because of an incident that occurred between me and August, I was unsure what my relationship with the rest of her family would look like. In the end, our differences were patched up and her family took me in as if I was their own son or brother. When August and I separated, one of the most difficult things was losing her family as well.
I was invited to her parent’s house tonight. I had already made some plans with another friend of mine to grab a drink at the bar, but I asked if I could come see them later in the night after going out with my friend. When I got to her parents house it felt like no time at all had passed. I was shocked by how much of her family was there. They all had kind words and hugs for me. Many of her family had planned on leaving early, but decided to stay later to see me I was told. I was even asked for my address so I could be invited to her cousins wedding in August. I don't know if I have ever been welcomed so quickly and fully into a group of people as her family did and continues to do with me. I sat with August's family pretty late into the night feeling completely at ease and very content. There are moments in your life that will stick with you forever and tonight will rank amongst those memories for me. Tonight I feel very blessed and fortunate.

1 comment:

melthedce said...

You are blessed...you are very blessed.... its amazing how life goes through its cycles... I really hope you can keep in touch with her family and see where your place is in all of this. You will always have a place in your heart for the fmaily and them in theirs. enjoy it!