Thursday, May 18, 2006

iGod?

I meant to go to bed early tonight. Hmmmmm, I seem to make that promise most nights, and yet here I am.

Working for a media company has made me pay closer attention to the power and influence media plays in our world today. I have customers heap praise on me, when a letter I forward gets them a feature article in the paper. Others get upset when their ad's run in a section that may not be read as often. I see the influence that television plays in people's lives everywhere I go. Yesterday I was eating lunch at KFC, and a group of people probably in their 40's was discussing who they thought was going to win American Idol. I have heard conversations in the past of people discussing what happened on 24, Greys Anatomy, or Desperate Housewives the evening before. Movies influence our thoughts and society's opinions on issues. Look at all the controversy Brokeback Mountain, and now The Da Vinci Code have generated. Between TV, movies, magazines, books, music, internet, newspapers, cell phones ect.... we are surrounded by media's messages almost 24/7.

Media is also permeating our churches. Most of the largest and quickest growing churches have embraced media in their worship. It's not unusual to see large TV screens at the front of the room in church today. Music is played in the styles of the hottest Christian artists and is piped through massive speakers. Video clips are played and used as teaching tools. Web pages are playing a more centralized role, as you can now skip church and download a sermon to your ipod. Many people tune to their favorite Christian TV station, and watch one of many different broadcast services. One of the changes brought to our youth program a few years back was the addition of a big screen TV, and video game system to the youth room. The fact of the matter is, we are used to seeing media and expect to see it in our daily lives. Churches that don't embrace media can be seen as out of touch with society and backwards.

I have a question, and I don't know the answer. Is this good?

I agree with the arguments on the pro side of the issue. Christ's message can't change, but the medium (root word for media) must. Churches must find a way to most effectively reach the masses with the message of God's merciful grace, and Christ's death on the Cross for our sins. We are used to getting messages from media, and the fact of the matter is, it's effective. Why shouldn't a church use a tool that will attract and energize more people for Christ.

I do have to argue for the other side as well though. A relationship with Christ is just that, a relationship. I worry that as a society we are forgetting how to form relationships with people. We communicate with friends now, by texting, and e-mail. We call them on our cell phones. We do get together, but many times it's to watch a movie or TV. We don't keep as much quiet time in our lives, devoted to simply chatting with friends, and more importantly chatting with God. My worry is that by trying to reach out to more people, faster and quicker we are forgetting Christ's method of teaching God's love. He met with people face to face, and even more importantly reached out to them and touched them. Are we forgetting this model in church today?

I don't have the answers, and as is the case with most things, the answer probably lays somewhere in the middle. Regardless I have spent a lot of time recently thinking about this and would love to hear other opinions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ponder this too. I don't have an answer, other than believing it to lie in the middle. I think that media has to be used tastefully. I love a good media clip...followed by a face to face teaching time and worship time. I think it all has value.

I agree though, that we have to be constantly obeserving if we are making church a spectator sport. Recently, I dropped off of leadership for a large young adults movement in LA. I soon after just sort of stopped attending. It wasn't super intentional...I was just tired. No one called me. No one wondered...not even my best friends. So, now 6 months or so later when they are asking "hey, why don't you go to the Foundry anymore?" I say (with a smirk) "because no one asked".

This is the danger of church becoming too much of a place where we go and view, and don't interact with each other. Here's another question are megachurches or even large churches God's will for "the church" any sense of community has to be manufactured. I wonder.

Anyway...there's a random rant in response to the question you asked. :) I hope you're well!

Chris said...

Great question Kristie.

palantyri said...

Don't forget that nearly all mega churches are seeker oriented. So bringing them to know some of God and Christianity and whet their appetite for more. Mega Churches then rely on the small group piece to fill in the relationship and deeper oriented gap. I have spent several years around a mega church aimed at youth. The thing is then you have to rely on the experience of the others around you. That works fine sometimes, but having been in and out of some groups, it's also a problem.

The opposite side of the issue is that the smaller congregations tend not to have even up to date worship/teaching experiences. That means that folks who fall in love with the mega churches newer approach have a hard time finding a smaller congregation that fits their style. Smaller congregations are very frequently still very traditional, much more family or and certainly older congregations. The other thing I see too is that frequently mega churches are not ever associated with most of the traditional denominations. Baptists seem to get a few mega churches, but I personally see most mega churches as non-denom, and while there are lots of starter non-denoms around, there aren't nearly as many established churches that are that...