Sunday, December 18, 2005

JOY

I'm a jerk. I couldn't help it. I was walking down the street this afternoon wearing a short sleeve shirt enjoying the 65 degree weather I'm experiencing here in Arizona, and I had to call some friends back in Colorado to gloat. I knew for a fact that it was 12 degrees there this morning, and it was snowing. I also know that this will come back on me someday, but I guess sometimes that I just never learn.

I really am having a nice time here in Arizona so far. It has been nice to take a vacation to see family that is longer then just a few days to spend with them during the hectic few days of Thanksgiving, Christmas, a wedding or funeral. Those trips are always so rushed and hectic that you don't get to really spend quality time with people. It was nice sitting with my grandma reading a book this afternoon and taking a nap. I loved having a nice conversation with my Mom about my plans for school. I love that we could watch a Bronco game together again, without feeling that there was something else I needed to be doing, or somewhere that I needed to get to. I love the celebration of family I get to experience each year at Christmas. I'm not a big Christmas person when it comes to the hype of the season. I don't decorate my house, in fact all my decorations fit inside a shoebox. I haven't put up a tree in 3 years, and don't really see a point when I never have Christmas at my house. Christmas is my favorite holiday though because in its own special way it is about family and relationships. It's about Christ coming down and joining our family, so that we may join his. My special memories of this season don't revolve around great light displays, or expensive gifts (Mom if you’re reading this, disregard that part, I still like expensive gifts...). It revolves around seeing more people fit in a house then the house is designed for, all enjoying each others company. It's the feeling I get of belonging to my family and of belonging to Christ's family that I will cherish always at Christmas. It's the emotion that I see written all over my Grandma's home......

"JOY"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I'll keep the "expensive" gifts in mind!!! I enjoyed talking with you and wathcing the game together as well.

I look forward to reading your future blogs. Good job, thanks for sharing with me.

Love, Mom

melthedce said...

Chris--- glad you are enjoying the vacation.... I can't wait!! I am counting the days... but not really because this week is like the Superbowl for church workers! Holy cow... I need a baby Jesus! Know anyone in NOrthern Cali with a baby that wants to come to our church Christmas eve and be baby Jesus? Let me know! :)

Ok I need to go lay out Nativity costumes.... I will try to make a few updates to keep your life interesting... HA HA just kidding!