Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

Well, Christmas has been here, and is pretty much done. Just a random string of thoughts I have had over the past few days of this season. First, how difficult is it to keep a Christmas message interesting and fresh every year, when everybody in the congregation has probably heard the story every year since their birth. Is it even important to keep the story interesting, and to present it in a different way each year? Should a service be just a simple reading of the gospel and some carols? I went to an incredible service this year in Green Valley Arizona. I guess I have heard it's not a city, but it's a large retirement community south of Tucson without even a school district. The church is pretty traditional, but the sanctuary is pretty big, and the choir is huge. They had an incredible performance by a local harpist during the service as well as a men’s quartet perform. It was very nicely done, but also what I have come to expect in the Presbyterian Church. The message however was what got me to thinking. It was a little confusing what the pastor was trying to get across, and I wonder if he was trying too hard to be original.
My second though is how important space can be. I love my family, and I absolutely love getting together with everybody on holidays. I also love my privacy sometimes, and it will feel very good to be sleeping in my own bed in a few days, not sharing a room with my brother. I love being in large groups; I love to be the center of attention, but to lay down alone with some music and a book is soo important to recharging one's batteries as well.
It’s been a fun, but very unusual Christmas. I'm not used to wearing sandals and hiking Christmas Eve and day. I'm not used to seeing snow all around. I miss not seeing my extended family on my Dad's side this year, but nobody traveled this year like most. It feels weird right now thinking about leaving Colorado for good maybe. I'm worried about things like finances for school and finding student aid. I'm nervous about getting accepted to schools, and choosing where to end up for good. I'm sad that I may have to give away my dog; she has been through sooo much with me. More then anything I'm excited and hopeful for the future. I'm going to put my trust in God, and I know he had great things in mind for me.

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

No comments: