Monday, December 12, 2005

Narnia

Ok, due to the fact my internet has been down now for 3 days, I have been unable to update anything, but this is my post that I was trying to put up Saturday the 10th. I will put more up hopefully tomorrow if I get my internet fixed (I'm at a friends home now).

I seem to be starting over quite a bit these days. I went to the Dr. yesterday (Friday) for the first time in seven months. I tend to avoid going when I know there is not going to be good news. It's not smart, but I guess I subscribe to the no news is good news theory sometimes. Anyway my sugar is not as good as it could be, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might have been. Unfortunately my blood pressure has been high, so I'm going back on some drugs to help that out. I've decided with my new commitment to pursue ministry, it's time to start over in trying to take better care of my body as well. Here is to new starts.

Yesterday was a day that was full of reminders of the change in my life. One of the best ways to remind somebody of change is to connect them with their past. I had a great time going out with friends from my past job yesterday. In just the short week I've been gone a lot has already changed, and it's weird to not be a part of that change. The funny thing is I don't miss it though. I'm glad to be where I am, and even happier to be going where I'm going. One of the questions I have had to attempt to answer this week asked in part "What are your expectations of your ministry?" My honest answer is, I don't know. I am happy to be going down this road to seminary and a life of ministry, but I don't know how this journey will end, and what it will look like in the end. My honest expectation and my greatest hope is that I will be changed greatly over the next three years; that I will see my beliefs challenged, my faith deepened, my views changed, and my life transformed. I went and saw Narnia at the midnight show tonight (Friday night) (had to see it on opening day, I mean come on!). I think a lot of people would like to relate to Peter in the movie. He was the leader, dubbed Peter the Magnificent at the end. I think I relate much better to Edmund in the movie though. He in the beginning betrayed Aslan, just as I have betrayed God many times in my life. Aslan sacrificed himself to save Edmund though (sound familiar?), and by the end of the movie the character who experiences probably the greatest change is Edmund. He is dubbed Edmund the Just. That is what I would like to see in my ministry to the world. I want to be changed like Edmund was. I want it to be said that I was somebody who can look at my past and relate to others; that I was fair in my judgments and that I was wise in my counsel. I don't need to be the person that gets the headlines, but the person who in the end connects with people in a just and honest way.

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2.

No comments: