Tuesday, December 06, 2005

"What do you believe?"

I'm in the process of trying to be accepted as an inquirer in the Presbyterian Church. To go through this process I've got some paperwork that I need to fill out, and there are nine questions that I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. One in particular is getting most of my attention.
"Write a brief statement of your personal faith describing what you believe about God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and your relationship to them."
For one, how do you make that brief? I have always known what I believe, but I think I could write books on my relationship with Christ. It's probably a sad state of affairs when somebody who wants to be a pastor is struggling with that simple question, but that really is the one question that says it all. I've been looking a lot today at the Apostles Creed. It's amazing how elequently those few lines say soo much, and really it's a great building block to expand on for my beliefs and my own statement. I don't know, I will probably almost need to cite that document with my own writings, but really then I would need to cite the Bible as well. Sorry random thoughts.
Well anyway that is where the God moment comes in today. I went and saw a friend tonight, and as I was warming up my car to come home, his younger sister got into a discussion with him and me. She considers herself agnostic when it comes to religion, but she asked me what I believed about Christ. She said she was told in church that she was going to hell, and was very turned off by the exclusion she felt she experienced. "Write a brief statement of your personal faith describing what you believe about God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and your relationship to them." I think I could have been much more elequent in what I was saying, but the same thoughts that I've been wrestling with were coming out of my mouth, and I think that maybe I was connecting with her a little bit. Then her cell phone rang, it was her boyfriend in Cali on the other line, so we ended abruptly. Hey it's a start, and I know we will talk more. It's amazing how God works sometimes.

2 comments:

melthedce said...

i say... just be really real with them... i mean thats how you are going to be with your future parishinors and the people that you meet with correct?

:)

Thanks for the call... I will email later... gotta go help with the soup supper!

melthedce said...

you have nothing but time... UPDATE!!!!!!!! muahaha that was the mean mel for today! hope you had fun last night! Good movie eh?