Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Coughs, cold feet, deadlines and dads

For everything they have created in my lifetime, and the impact the whole information age has had on humanity, one discovery would trump everything ever created. That one great find...

The cure for the common cold.

Ok, so I'm just whining because I have been suffering for the past few days, but I have this cough that is going to drive me insane. I'm diabetic, and I don't mind taking the shots daily, but I do mind waking up at night every hour to hack away. Oh well, I know I'm not alone in this, so I guess I need to stop whining.

In other news of the week or so, I am closer to getting a planning meeting going on my singles group, but not a lot closer. I have decided that calling people who I don't know, to ask, "So I hear you’re single" may not be the best thing. I have already spoke to the mother of a person who I think may be great for this group, and found out that he technically is still married, but separated. I still plan on inviting him because he needs to find a new connection to the church, but I'm glad I was speaking with his mother instead of him directly. Instead I'm going to go the wimpy route by putting a notice in the bulletin, and getting up in front of the congregation to invite people to come, or contact me. I feel I may be wimping out, but we will see how it goes.

I have my seminary application mailed in for Austin, but I still have to complete a couple of essays for it. I'm also only one essay short of my application for Denver, and I can do that online. I set a deadline to get it all done by the end of the month and I'm close. I'm one paragraph short of the autobiography for Austin being done, but I keep changing my mind about the topic for their analytical essay. I'm leaning right now toward addressing Christ’s message that unless you become like children, you will never get into the kingdom of heaven. A friend of mine gave me this idea the other day when I was telling him of the problem today of speaking of God as "Father". Society today see many absentee fathers in child support, they see news of men beating their wives. I have spoken with youth who see their dad buried in work, and not having any time for them. With so many strained "Father/Child" relationships, sometimes this is a difficult connection for youth to make. My friend brought up the point that we don't need to see God in a light of our relationship with dads now, but instead the relationship we had with our dad's when we were 2 and 3 years old. Kids that age tend to adore their dad's as the person who can fix anything, and is the strongest person in the world. That is how we need to look upon God. It was a good lesson for me to remember.

Mark 10: 14-15 - "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it."

2 comments:

melthedce said...

so I am totally putting together a group like that right now... kinda... they don't have to be single but thats who we will mostly get... anyway I am kinda chickening out and sending them postcards in the mail... just remember you get the best response from someone if there is a personal invitation... its hard, but in retrospect of what hard could be, it isn't too shabby!

:) MIss talking to you bud!

melthedce said...

about the dads part... It is also in light of what the perfect father child relationship would look like... those dads that are buried in work... the heavenly one isn't... etc etc... make sense? maybe not... I have found I don't make sense a lot... I am cool with that though... my daddy made me after all :)