Monday, January 16, 2006

Music

I love music! I know everybody says that, but I'm going to say it too, I absolutely love music! I love the beat that can get you to want to tap your toe or even better get out of your seat and dance. I love that it can evoke memories of a different time, and that it has the power to excite your, or relax you. Different music appeals to me at different times. Sometimes I like a real punk or hard rock sound with a lot of angst. Sometimes I like something a little more mellow and personal. I like listening to a symphony sometimes, and others a little jazz club is the place to be. The reason I like music more then anything though is that it tells a story. When people write a song, often they are telling their own story, but the magic of music is that when we listen to it, our own story often comes out. The same song can have completely different meanings to people listening to it. That's probably one of the reasons I like musicals so much. I love to actually see a story told through music. I love how a song can communicate all the feelings that you imagine the characters to be having. That story is also why I have come to love today’s praise music. I can't think of many times when I can feel closer to God then when I can sing to him, because I can close my eyes and the song tells my story, and only mine, when I sing it. That same song tells a different story for somebody else, but it's their own as well. "This is the air I breathe; you're very presence living in me". I love music!

A friend once asked me, and this is one of the few questions that ever really caught me off guard, but she asked....."If your life was a musical, what songs would play in yours?"

2 comments:

melthedce said...

holy cow I haven't heard from you in forever!

palantyri said...

Not to mention what you look like when you're listening....