Monday, January 02, 2006

Reflections of 2005

Well 2005 is in the books, and I find myself looking back at what was my past year. I love to sneak away during the last 30 minutes or so of the year and spend some time thanking God for what he has brought into my life during the last 365 days.
It really has been a great year for me, but nothing like I expected it to be. At the start of 2005 I figured that it would be a year of saving for me. I would be paying off debt and saving up to buy a home in 2006. I was looking forward to laying down roots in the Loveland area, as I had a great job with huge earning potential. I was dating a special girl at the start of 2005 and was curious as to where that relationship was going to go. I was back to working with youth, and excited at the direction the group was going. Nothing happened as I figured it would. In the case of my job, I did make more money this year then I ever have in the past. I was able to pay off most all of my debt, including my car. I also have saved more money then I anticipated being able to at this point. Then I watched as I lost my job, and with it the dreams of buying my house and setting up roots. That special girl I talked about is still very special as she is now one of the best friends I have ever had on this earth. She is very happily in love with another guy right now, and I'm excited at her relationship with him. If we kept dating we would probably not even be speaking anymore. Some people you just can't date. The excitement for the youth group also didn't pan out the way I thought it would. In this case, the group of young adults (you can't call them kids) exceeded every expectation I had of them. I don't think I will ever forget two events of 2005 regarding these extraordinary people. The first was a worship service led by the youth. It gave me goose bumps to see the energy and passion their praise band brought to worship at Mountain View. I was still hearing compliments directed toward them months later from members of the congregation. The second event I will never forget was the retreat I just came back from. It amazes me how much our youth is exposed to in this day and age. The world is asking more and more from our youth, and they are being forced to grow up way too early these days. It was a moving experience for me to watch many of them share their testimonies. The demons that they face are very real and very scary sometimes. It is an incredible honor for me that they trust me enough, as well as trusting the rest of the group, to share what they do. The highlight of the trip for me was sharing my testimony with them, and revealing to them a little bit of where I come from. Most of them knew that I was married in the past, but really didn't know much more of the story then that. Upon hearing my seminary plans (of which I have been procrastinating too long), the youth director Michael asked if they would like to lay hands on me and pray for my journey. It was a moving experience.
I saw a lot of my friends welcome new kids into the world this year. Some of these friends include Michael and Dana, David and Mikeesha, and I found out this afternoon that one of my oldest and best friends James and his wife Alice gave birth to a son late on the 30th. I also have some great friends who are expecting to be parents early next year. Unfortunately I had to say goodbye to some special people this year as well. The weekend of Memorial Day one of the most unique people I have ever had the privilege of knowing passed away from an aneurism at age 26 or 27. I still think of Becca often. A few weeks later I also lost my step grandfather Ken due to stroke and old age.
I have watched all these events shape my life over the past year, but the event that will truly define my 2005 is my decision to recognize a call Christ has placed on my life to pursue ministry as a vocation. This change in direction for me at the end of 2005 is probably the biggest risk I have ever taken. I can honestly say thought that I am even more excited and enthused with the potential 2006 brings for me. I'm sure that my expectations now will be changed as the year progresses, and that the end of this year will see many more surprises for me. For those of you my readers, I look forward to continuing sharing my life with you in the New Year. Blessings to you all in 2006!!!



"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow!What a ride!'"
- Unknown to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good! You're amazing. I'm so proud of you. Love, Mom