Friday, February 24, 2006

Everybody knows your name

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away? Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. You wanna be where you can see; our troubles are all the same. You wanna be where everybody knows your name."

I have always loved the theme song to Cheers. I even had to download it from Itunes tonight. It's so true that everybody is looking for acceptance out there, and sometimes it can be difficult to find. I have a bar that is my Cheers here in town called Remo's. It's not that everybody knows my name when I walk it, but it's a place that some of the staff know me, and always drop by and say hello. It became that way after one of the most magical nights of my life. I was out at the bar with my friends Angie and Becca one night, and we struck up a conversation with a girl, while sitting out on the patio. It was a beautiful summer night in Colorado, and they stars were out in force. It was warm enough that I was in short sleeves and warm at midnight. It turned out the girl we were talking to that night worked there and was off the clock. By the end of the night, the bar was closed, but we were still sitting out on the patio with about 6 members of the staff and the owner. I haven't had that much fun in a long time. One week later to the day, my friend Becca passed away from an aneurism at her home. I think she was 26. I am so thankful to this day that I had that last night with her, and that the last time I saw her was a time of great fun and enjoyment.
The girl we met at the bar that night is now my favorite waitress there. To tell you the truth, she is not a great waitress, but she always drops by to say hi whether she is waiting on us or not. If you watch her, she knows almost everybody who comes in the door of Remo's, and is great at making everybody feel welcome there. Many of the people that do come there really do know everybody's name. I love the people watching there, and trying to figure out everybody's story. It's a great tribute to the human race, whether Christian or not, to see how everybody there always seems to be one big family. I'm not blind, and I know there have to be troubles from time to time, but overall, it's a great place to be.
It's scary, but the church as a whole can learn a lot from Remo's. Read the lyrics to the song again, and ask yourself, "Is this the church I want to attend?" I know it's where I want to go. Time and time again I have seen people driven from the church because of misunderstandings, and people not being sympathetic. We all have troubles at times, and when we point blame, instead of lending a sympathetic ear we cause pain. I look at the people who come into the bar, and while I'll bet most don't attend a service on Sunday, they give each other a hug and a smile. They listen to each other's problems. They empathize with each other, and most of all they care. What a great model for a church. Hmmmmm.

Ok, side note tonight. My mom called me last night and left a message. My great grandmother died Tuesday night. I feel like a bit of a schmuck because my first reaction to the message was "you mean she was still alive?" I read the obituary today, and was even more shocked to hear that my name was listed under the survived by section. In my defense, she was the step mother to my grandpa who passed away my seventh grade year. I really never did know her that well, as my grandpa wasn't especially close to her; that's not to say they didn't get along though. I feel bad not even knowing that she was alive at the moment, but I do think I will go to her memorial service Monday.

No comments: