Thursday, February 02, 2006

People Watching

Ok, so it's another 2 a.m. and I'm not sleeping blog. I should have taken the Nyquil.

In the movie Love Actually, it ends with many different shots of people meeting loved ones at Heathrow Airport. I don't know if it was staged or not, but I love those scenes. Basically it comes down to my love of people watching. I think people are fascinating, and basically very beautiful. There are many great locations to people watch, but I think my favorite is church. Ok, so maybe it's bad that I like to observe what other people are doing when I'm suppose to be putting my attention on the Lord. In my defense though, I still say people are beautiful, and it's very spiritually uplifting and healing for me to watch the Holy Spirit move in others. I went to a service tonight at the Vineyard Church in Fort Collins before going to the Spiritual Warfare class my friend Les teaches. I don't know a lot about the Vineyard Church, but I do know they put a lot of emphasis on music. This church has a very contemporary style of music and is very popular with the college and young adult crowd. This is the reason that I first took notice of one gentleman there tonight. I was singing with my eyes closed to a song I really like at the beginning of the service when something brushed past my foot. I opened my eyes and saw that it was the walker of an old man that had entered my space. You could tell he needed the walker to get around, but he proceeded forward to about the third row and found a chair. He started to take of his jacket and was having a difficult time of it, when a young girl a few chairs down from him came over and helped him out of his coat. She was probably college age, about 19 or 20 I'm guessing, and she held the coat up for him as he tried to extract his arms. She helped him down and made sure he was comfortable. Later in the service they invited the congregation to the front for communion. I noticed the same girl go up and grab communion for 2. She took a piece of bread, and a cup back for the elderly gentleman. Now maybe she knew the gentleman, but it appeared to me, that she was meeting him for the first time. I would like to think that in the same position I would have done the same thing, but I know better. It's not that I would feel constrained to do such a thing; I just don't think I would have thought of it. Watching her serve this older gentleman made me feel warm inside. That is why people are beautiful, and why I love to people watch. I have many more observations that I could share tonight, but I feel sleep coming. Maybe I'll share more later.

No comments: